TenerifeEstateAgents.net is owned and managed by myself, Andy Ward.
A quick precis of my background: 5 years in UK Military Intelligence after which I qualified as a mortgage broker and worked in the regulated financial services industry in the UK. I later spent 18 months working as an offshore financial advisor in Caracas, Venezuela where I met my partner and mother of my child, Maria, and we relocated to Tenerife in 2006.
I set up TenerifeMortgageBroker.com here in Tenerife after spotting a gap in the market to provide independent whole-of-market mortgage advice to expatriates buying property here. I quickly expanded this to the whole of Spain creating SpanishMortgage.org and MortgagesinSpain.org which are still going strong!
As a mortgage broker here I worked with almost every estate agent in the South of Tenerife and was often asked by my clients recommend an estate agent, something I was not comfortable doing and something I did not want to be responsible for. Over time it became more and more difficult to find honest, reliable and ethical estate agents.
Another issue I came across was that a lot of people now search property listings online. Many of these are hopelessly out of date for a start and a good proportion are very old (2 years plus) meaning the prices do not reflect the current market.
I was being approached by banks to help them market their growing portfolio of repossessed properties and developers trying to offload new build properties they could no longer sell. So, I set up this website to provide honest advice about some of the pitfalls of buying and selling in Tenerife. I work with several very good agents – agents I can trust and manage to dig out some of the very best property deals on the island. This has worked very well and the business has gone from strength to strengthen in the middle of the worst property crash in decades! I am continuing to add value for money and “Best price” properties as we pick them up from realistic sellers who actually want to sell. I simply don´t waste time with owners who don´t mind if they sell or not as in almost all cases their properties are vastly overpriced.
Standard, old, outdated Tenerife Estate Agents model:
- Mortgage arranged by an estate agent who is out of their depth in an ever-changing mortgage market
- Hundreds of out of date, old property listings with unrealistic prices all over their websites
- “In house lawyer” who is may very well be representing the agents interests ahead of your own
- Estate agent offering to do all your legal work (as with them arranging your mortgage – a big no-no)
- Endless sales pitches and spin from your salesman whose former career was in Timeshare (0ver 50% of agents here formerly worked in this crooked industry and have brought what they learned into their new careers)
- Unsafe practices, insistence on deposit being paid directly to their bank or paid cash
- Zero financial protection should you not obtain a mortgage (Yes – they still take their commission from your deposit!)
- Make believe “awards” and “indemnity insurance as well as being members of bogus and toothless obscure organisations who will do nothing to help you if and when the estate agent gives you bad advice
- An obsession with putting (only positive) testimonials on their websites and bugging clients for only positive feedback and photos…
What we offer:
- Competitive up to date Tenerife property listings, repossessions and distressed sales
- 100% mortgages on select repossessed Tenerife property
- Expert mortgage advice (we are the biggest provider of non-resident mortgage in the whole of Spain!)
- A 100% Guarantee you will not lose your deposit if you do not obtain a mortgage for any reason
- All deposits handled by your own lawyer and kept in your lawyers account – not ours
- Honest transparent estate agents and a choice of completely independent legal experts
- A website where YOU can leave YOUR feedback and opinion (nothing to hide here!)
- We dont pretend to have won any silly “awards”
- We are not members of any daft organisations who have no presence anywhere in Tenerife, no knowledge of the purchase/sales process here and cant do anything to help you anyways
- We dont lie about safety guarantees and indemnity insurance
- Straight talk, direct advice. We wont waste your time and you wont waste ours!
We firmly believe we are offering something quite unique and a service which is very much needed in order to drag the Tenerife property market and Tenerife Estate Agents into the 21st Century. Our ability to market properties widely is unmatched by any other estate agents. We have a large network of other good agents we work with and our website is number one in Google for many Tenerife property search term making us the best place to advertise.